MR029 Sheel and Tube Heat Exchanger Heat Transfer Educational Equipment
• One of a set of optional heat exchangers for use with TecQuipment's Service Module
• Popular type heat exchanger, used in industry but designed for teaching
• Simple and safe to use; foolproof fi ttings allow students to change and connect the heat exchanger quickly and easily needing no tools
• Clear outside casing, so students can see its construction
• Bedplate with a clear schematic diagram to help students understand how to connect the heat exchanger
• Corrosion-resistant materials for use with ordinary clean water at safe temperatures
This heat exchanger is one of the most common type used in industry. This is because it is compact, but can work at higher pressures than other designs. It is a large tube (shell) which surrounds several smaller tubes (a bundle).
One fl uid passes through the shell, and the other fluid passes through the tube bundle, therefore transferring heat. Baffl es around the bundle help to create a turbulent mixed flow.
The Service Module provides hot and cold water to the heat exchanger and all the instruments needed to measure its performance. All fl uid connections to the heat exchanger are self-sealing quick connectors - for safety and simplicity. The hot and cold fluid streams have different connectors to reduce errors. Connecting the heat exchanger takes less than one minute.
The heat exchanger is on a bedplate that has a clear schematic diagram showing the connections. The bedplate fixes to the Service Module with thumbscrews (students need no tools).
• Demonstration of heat transfer from one fluid to another through a solid wall.
• Energy balance and effi ciency calculations.
• Demonstration of parallel-fl ow and counter-flow operation of heat exchangers.
• Measurement of the heat transfer coeffi cient, and the effect of fl uid flow rates and the driving force (temperature diff erential) upon it.
• Introduction to the logarithmic mean temperature difference in heat exchangers.
• Comparison of diff erent types of heat exchanger in terms of performance, size and relative cost (only if two or more optional heat exchangers have been bought).
Essential Base Unit
• Service Module
Storage temperature range:
–25°C to +55°C (when packed for transport)
Operating temperature range:
+5°C to +40°C
Operating relative humidity range:
80% at temperatures < 31°C decreasing linearly to 50% at 40°C
Heat Transfer Area: 24000 mm²,
Tube Bundle Length: 205 mm, 4 thermocouples
- Tube Material: Stainless steel
- Tube outside Diameter: Ø 4.76mm
- Tube Wall Thickness: 0.6mm
- Number of tubes in bundle: 7
- Effective length of tube bundle: 205mm
- Effective heat transfer area: 18700mm2
- Shell Material: Clear Borosilicate (Pyrex type glass)
- Shell Inside Diameter: Ø 75mm Shell
- Wall Thickness: 10mm
- Number ofbaffles: 2